The portable air conditioner is a handy way to cool your small apartment because it does not require special construction in the room; it is budget-friendly too. However, you might have been noticing that your AC keeps turning off without reason. Why does my portable AC keep turning off? This issue is known as the short cycling of a portable AC, and There are some causes behind it. We hope to discuss them one by one in this article. Besides, you will find out the solutions to fix it easily.
Do Portable Air Conditioners Turn Off Automatically?
If your portable air conditioner comes with an automatic feature shut-off, it can turn itself off without your control. Most portable AC machines have this feature because it helps to prevent the machine from excessively working, which is really important to avoid any damage. Therefore, you should check whether this feature is available or not before buying. Automatic turning off is a usual part of the air conditioner’s operation.
Do Portable Air Conditioners Shut Off When Temperature is Reached?
The portable air conditioner mainly drags the hot air from the atmosphere and shifts it to the outside to cool the room. That is how it works. And if the room temperature reaches its expected level, portable air conditioners automatically turn off. So, you do not need to worry because this is not an issue with the machine; it is quite normal. The thermostats that are equipped with the AC do this job. However, there are some other causes for the AC to shut off, and those have been listed in the next section.
Why Does My Portable AC Keep Turning Off?
There are some different kinds of reasons for the AC to keep turning off. The most common ones are listed down below.
- When the compressor unit of the AC is on the fritz, the AC might be shut off from time to time because the refrigerant of the unit cannot run around the unit due to the faulty compressor.
- Cleanliness is vital for any type of air conditioner. So, if the filter and the evaporator coil have been filthy, this issue can arise too because the debris and dirt can block the filter and the coil.
- Frozen evaporator coils also cause the AC to turn off. The water that is condensed through the process should be drained properly. Otherwise, frost becomes a barrier to the airflow.
- Poor airflow rate will also be another reason for this malfunction. When the air conditioner works hard with only a limited airflow, the machine can be exhausted and overheat. As a result, the AC can shut off intermittently.
- The compressor can overheat due to a clogged condenser coil, as the coils prevent a smooth airflow. Consequently, the AC shut off. Besides, this issue can harm the condenser of your AC.
- To cool the air properly, there should be an adequate coolant running through the AC. But if there is a low level of refrigerant inside the machine, this process is disturbed. As a consequence, there will be a limited cooling capacity. When the machine does not run smoothly, it can shut off from time to time.
- If you have not set sufficient temperature settings, the machine cannot work properly. It will not be able to function properly with improper settings. In addition, the size of your AC should be adequate for the room. If the area is large, a smaller one will not fit to cool the room.
How Do I Stop My Portable Air Conditioner Keep Turning Off?
Now let’s discuss what you can do to prevent this from happening. When you go through the causes of this case, you may have realized that some of the reasons can be easily fixed by yourself.
- First of all, you should pay attention to the cleanliness of the AC. If you clean the machine regularly, the vent hose, air filters, coils, and other parts will not be clogged by dust and debris. Then, there will be proper airflow inside the AC. Detach the components with the help of the user manual and wipe the dust using a towel or brush.
- The next thing you have to do is set the temperature of the AC to a moderate level. It will prevent the machine from overworking and shutting off.
- Thirdly, consider the size of the room, and if it is too big for your portable air conditioner, it is better to install a more powerful unit. Or else, you can use multiple units to cool the room.
Try the above solutions to fix this problem. But if you are unable to do so even after you maintain the machine properly, it is better to ask for help from a professional technician.
Why Does My Portable AC Keep Tripping the Breaker?
The breaker of an AC has been rated for specific amps. But when the air conditioner pulls in more amps, there is a chance for the AC to trip its breaker. For instance, if the air conditioner comes with a 20-amp breaker, the breaker will trip if the AC pulls in 25 amps. So, it is not recommended to reset the breaker repeatedly.
Apart from the breaker, there are some other causes for the AC to trip, such as a filthy air filter, grounded compressor, etc. if your AC is constantly tripping, take it as a warning because, eventually, the machine can cause a fire.
How Long Should Portable AC Sit?
In general, you should keep your portable air conditioner in the standing mode for 12 to 24 hours. And make sure to stand the machine upright for the same time if you kept it on the side before. Remember to do this prior to plugging the AC in. if you kept the AC on its side for 24 hours without transporting; you have to leave the machine to sit for at least a whole day before you run it again. And if you are going to use a brand new one, it needs at least 30 minutes to sit before running.
Related Reads: Discover More Content You’ll Love